‘Twas the weekend before Christmas and all through Indy, all the creatures were stirring, wanting to get out of the house. You’ve got your shopping done, and the kids are out for vacation. Do you need something to do in Indianapolis this pre-holiday weekend? Here are 5 things to do in Indy that are family-friendly this weekend.
1. Bring the family to the annual Winter Solstice celebration at the Indianapolis Museum of Art from 5-8:30 pm on Thursday, December 18, 2014. Watch ice sculpture demonstrations, sing with carolers, make some art and meet live reindeer at the winter solstice celebration. The Lily House will be open for viewing with its holiday decorations. Parking and admission is FREE.
2. See “It’s a Wonderful Life” at the downtown IMAX theater in the Indiana State Museum. This one-time showing on Thursday, December 18, 2014 costs only $6 and begins at 6:45 pm.
3. City Sidewalks on Georgia Street will fill the streets festivity on December 19-20, 2014 with a live nativity, visits to Santa, children’s activities, and holiday shopping from local artisans. Make sure to pick out your favorite from the 30 corporate trees in the Christmas Tree Decorating Contest and vote on the Downtown Indy Facebook page. Friday, City Sidewalks will be open from 5-9 p.m. and on Saturday from noon-9 p.m. Admission is FREE.
4. Rowdie, the Indianapolis Indians mascot will make an appearance as Rowdie Claus at Victory Field on Saturday, December 20, 2014 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Your kids can get a free picture with Rowdie Clause, participate in activities and enjoy refreshments. Parking and admission is FREE however, donations of non-perishable foods are encouraged. For more information see the Indianapolis Indians website.
5. Indianapolis School of Ballet will perform the holiday classic, The Nutcracker at the Scottish Rite Cathedral Theater in downtown Indianapolis. Performances run from Thursday, December 18-Monday, December 22, 2014. For times and to purchase tickets see the Indianapolis School of Ballet Website.
Tags: City Sidewalks, downtown Indianapolis, Downtown Indy, Family Activity, Free, Georgia Street, IMA, IMAX, Indiana State Museum, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Indians, Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis School of Ballet, Kids Activities, Lilly House, Nutcracker, Scottish Rite Cathedral Theater, Victory Field, White River State Park, Winter Solstice Celebration